- Blue River
- Upgrade Program
- On Sale
Posted by SamuriaiSam on March 11, 2016
One of the most common questions I've been asked recently is "How do you clean your coils?" Well, I put a bit more effort into it than some; I want my coils super clean and tasty! Here's a 12 step cleaning guide for anyone who wants their coils spotless! You'll need:
I suggest cleaning on a surface that can be washed easily, like a solid countertop in your kitchen. Wood, granite, and other surfaces should be covered with something like a large plastic cutting board before busting out the alcohol.
1. Remove the cartridge from your vaporizer and set the battery portion aside. (If you're cleaning Alpha Centauri or Globe coils; take off the cartridge cover, and remove the coil.) Black KISS Mini cartridges should not be submerged in alcohol, this guide can be used for all Omicron coils and all Kiss carts besides Black KISS Mini even though it's illustrated.)
2. Remove the mouthpiece from the cartridge.
1st and 2nd gen KISS carts break down into three pieces. Separate all three.
3. Dip a cotton swab into some isopropyl alcohol and use it to wipe the mouthpiece. (Alternately you could moisten a paper town with some alcohol and wipe gently)
4. (Optional) If you wish to clean the cartridge further, you will need to remove the red O-ring from the mouthpiece since this O-ring cannot be soaked in alcohol for a long time. It can be removed gently with a tool after you've wiped away excess oils: (this method works better for 1st & 2nd generation KISS carts and our KISS Mini)
Or by pinching/sliding the O ring with your fingers. This method works better on the Gen 3 KISS cart.
Clean the O-ring by wiping it with an alcohol-wetted paper towel and set aside.
5. Now we may move on to cleaning the cartridge. You can use the metal tool to carefully wipe oil from the metal walls of the cartridge chamber only. Do not contact or scrape the top rim of the ceramic bowl. Do not wipe the ceramic bowl and do not contact the coil.
6. Place the cartridge into the zippered baggie and add only enough alcohol to cover the cartridge.
If you removed the O ring from the mouthpiece, add it to the bag.
"Burp" as much air from the bag as you can and seal it.
7. To improve the cleaning effectiveness of the isopropyl alcohol, let's heat it up!
Place the plastic bag inside a cup and fold the zipper over the rim. Add very hot, but not boiling water.
8. When the alcohol turns amber you'll know it's cleaning. Once it stops getting darker it's absorbed as much as it can and it's time to exchange it for fresh iso. Change out the dirty alcohol for fresh clean alcohol, and repeat as needed.. You'll notice residue left behind in the bag, I like to use new sandwich bags after the second round of alcohol to get rid of as much residue as possible per wash & throw away the oily residues left behind in the bag.
*Pro-Tip: It's super easy to clean multiple cartridges and coils at once! You can clean a ton of dirty coils and cartridges together using this method. Always add just enough alcohol to cover all the coils/cartridges, and burp all the air out of the bag before sealing.
9. When the alcohol stays clean and clear when immersed in hot water, the cartridge is as clean as the alcohol can get it. You can let it soak for 20-30 minutes to give the alcohol enough time to thoroughly penetrate and break down oils from inside the ceramic wick and then it's time to remove all parts from the alcohol.
I like to save my last rinse of isopropyl alcohol for next time's first wash. I open just a corner of the bag and pour the excess alcohol into an old leftover iso alcohol container and store it for next time.
10. Remove the parts from the bag and rinse the mouthpieces in water:
11. It's preferable to rinse the coils and carts in distilled water to prevent mineral buildup on the heating wire. Use the syringe to make this easy:
Hopefully, they'll look something like this once cleaned!
12. Let these coils and carts dry in a warm area at least over night, preferably for 24 hours or more. Reinstall any O rings you removed, put the cartridge back onto your vaporizer (or thread the coil into the Globe or AC base) and pulse power gently to vaporize any remaining water away.
You're now ready to load it up once again! Enjoy!
Please contact me if you have any questions about how to clean your KISS cartridges and coils! With proper care, they'll last a long time.